01. Setting the scene: The climate resilience challenge and how ESA is responding
- Dr Carlos Domenech, Project Manager at GMV
- Susanne Mecklenburg, Head of ESA Climate Office
- Bernice van Bronkhorst, WB Global Director on Climate Change
- Anna Burzykowska, ESA Technical Officer
- Lydia Messling, Communications Consultant, Acclimatise
Date: 11 June 2020
You can download the webinar summary here
Satellite Earth Observation (EO) has a considerable potential to inform and facilitate climate resilient development around the globe. The European Space Agency (ESA) Climate Change Initiative (CCI) aims to provide stable, long-term, satellite-based Essential Climate Variables data products for climate modellers and researchers. Such EO data enableand underpin global climate insight through providing timely and accurate data about the Earth’s atmosphere, landmasses, and oceans. This insight, combined with information about society, can paint a powerful picture about climate risks and resilience building opportunities, and help drive better decisions.
This webinar aims to summarise the European Space Agency's current and planned activities in climate domain, introduce the nature and scope of the ESA EO4SD Climate Resilience Cluster, and provide an overview of the scientific and policy context to climate action.
Webinar learning outcomes
- To gain an appreciation of how ESA is helping to improve our understanding of climate change and how its products and services can help you build resiliece
- To become familiar with the state of the science on climate change
- To understand key ways in which policy and the financial system is underpinning resilience action
- To gain an appreciation of some of the main climate risks and opportunities
- To become familar with the remit and activities of the EO4SD Climate Resilience Cluster
- Summary of the state of the science on climate change
- Description of the ways in which ESA is helping to build better knowledge about climate change and provide the evidence to guide action
- Overview of key climate-related risks and opportunities, from coastal flood risk to urban infrastructure to opportunities for climate resilience investment
- Summary of the the legal and financial context to action, from the NAPs to TCFD
Prerequisites for the webinar
- Basic knowledge of earth observation
- Basic knowledge of development projects lifecycle and international financing institutions investment projects
- Basic knowledge of climate change
Further readings and resources
- EO4SD CR Capacity building Material, Link.
- EARTH OBSERVATION: THE NEW FRONTIER IN CLIMATE RESILIENCE - Paper prepared for presentation at the “2020 WORLD BANK CONFERENCE ON LAND AND POVERTY” The World Bank - Washington DC, March 16-20, 2020, Link.
- ESA Climate Change Initiative, Link.
- IPCC reports, Link.
- United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (Paris Agreement 2015) , Link.
- United Nation Report on the 2019 Climate Action Summit, Link.
To download the presentation, please click here.
Recording of the webinar
Please click in the window below to play the video recorded during the webinar
If you want to download the video, please click here.
About the EO4SD Climate Resilience Cluster
Earth Observation for Sustainable Development (EO4SD) is an ESA initiative that aims to increase the uptake of EO-based information in development operations at national and international levels. The EO4SD Climate Resilience Cluster aims to help development partners upgrade their tools and skills in order to accomplish their climate resilience obejctives.