++UPDATE: 6 March 2019++ Final agenda and venue address of the workshop are available now. Scroll down for more information.
Colleagues from international finance institutions (IFIs) and their client states are invited to join the EO4SD Climate Resilience cluster on 13 March 2019, one day before the One Planet Summit in Nairobi: Africa’s Pledge, for a stakeholder and capacity building workshop co-organised by IGAD ICPAC at Hilton Nairobi in Nairobi, Kenya.
The workshop aims to demonstrate the value of Earth observation data to climate-resilient development through a series of presentations, discussions, and hands-on training. Delegates are advised to bring a laptop computer equipped with Wifi card.
During the workshop the EO4SD Climate Resilience cluster will:
- Provide valuable insights into how IFIs and their client states can use Earth observation data to support climate-resilient development;
- Discuss stakeholder needs and requirements, especially with regards to projects on the African continent;
- Provide applicable and useful information about Copernicus Sentinel data and services, which offers full, free and open access;
- Showcase the proposed services of the EO4SD Climate Resilience cluster and how they can be used (e.g. drought monitoring, wetland monitoring, ecosystem evaluation, flooding, soil erosion, etc.);
- Offer a training session about the EO4SD Climate Resilience platform, including downloading data, visualizing it, and creating of customized products (e.g. water quality indexes, vegetation indexes, etc.).
Click here to download the workshop flyer as PDF.
Click here to download the agenda as PDF.
09:00 - 09:30 Registration and welcome coffee
09:30 - 10:45 Opening remarks
9:30 Welcome & opening - Zachary K. K. Atheru (IGAD ICPAC)
9:45 Earth observations for evidence-informed policy, decisions and action - Steven Ramage (GEO)
10:15 Use case on how Earth Observation supports climate-smart agriculture in WB investment in Kenya - Boniface O. Akuku (KALRO)
10:45 – 12:00 Setting the stage
10:45 ESA’s initiative “Earth Observation for Sustainable Development”: Applying Earth observation to face climate change resilience - Carlos Domenech (GMV)
11:15 Coffee Break
11:30 Adding value to the Copernicus Climate Change service (C3S) - Stefano Natali (SISTEMA) & Anestis Trypitsidis (NOA)
12:00 - 14:00 EO-based services for climate resilience
12:00 Portfolio of sectoral climate services - Anestis Trypitsidis (NOA)
12:15 Panel discussion: Requirements to support robust climate investment decisions - Edith Kirumba (IFAD) & Benard Onzima (African Risk Capacity) & Lily Kisaka (Lake Victoria Basin Commission) & Boniface O. Akuku (KALRO)
13:00 Lunch Break
14:00 - 16:15 Capacity Building
14:00 Hands-on exercises using EO-based climate platform - Stefano Natali (SISTEMA) & Ramiro Marco Figuera (SISTEMA) & Anestis Trypitsidis (NOA)
16:00 Coffee Break
16:15 - 17:00 Conclusions
16:15 Concluding discussion
17:00 End of workshop
To register, please use the following link.
For additional information, please contact EO4SD Climate Resilience coordinator Dr. Carlos Domenech.